The central aim of CAP is to provide an academically challenging and enriching learning environment for the selected students in Years 7 & 8 (two classes in each year group). The program focuses on supporting the students to develop skills significantly beyond Stage 4 expectations. The students will also be explicitly taught the necessary skills (such as summarising and effective exam preparation) to enable them to achieve at a high academic level as they embark on their high school education.
Warilla High has also developed strong and productive links with the University of Wollongong. A core part of our CAP programs in Years 7 & 8 includes opportunities for our CAP students that are aimed at immersing the students in academic culture and ‘tasting' what is on offer from a variety of faculties.
CAP students will have the opportunity to continue with this program across Years 9 & 10 by engaging in specialised elective subjects especially designed to cater for their individual learning needs.
- Intelligent dedicated students working together with staff in a positive quality learning environment.
- Build skills – KLA specific skills, study skills, 21st Century skills (collaboration, communication, citizenship, creativity)
- Promote academic achievement and provide students with a range of opportunities to immerse themselves in academic environments.
- Build strong and meaningful partnerships with parents with the aim of upskilling them to be able to proactively support the academic progress of their child.
- Inspire students – create aspiration
The Core Academic Program focuses on our teachers utilising Higher Order Teaching strategies to extend and challenge the students within each KLA area. This is supported by a number of extra-curricular / enrichment opportunities that take place throughout the year including:
- Academic Enrichment Camps
- Student/Parent after school sessions
- Higher Order Teaching Expos
- University visits
- Academic Challenge Days
- Da Vinci Decathlon
- Tournament Of The Minds
- Sydney Story Factory
Mid-way through Term 2 all Yr6 students who have enrolled at Warilla High School (and students from our ‘feeder' Primary Schools will sit the Middle Years Abilities Test (MYAT). The results from this test will be analysed and used to identify students who will be invited for further testing here at Warilla High School. This second round of testing (which occur mid-way through Term 3) will determine which students will be invited to participate in our Core Academic Program.
The information provided above is a general description of our program, its features and the selection process. For more detailed information or for any queries please contact our CAP Coordinator Ryan McGillivray Ph. 02 4296 3055 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org