Career Education Program
At Warilla High School we have a full-time Careers Adviser - Mr Drew Cairncross.
The Careers Hub is located next to the Front Administration Office is open to students during breaks or at assigned interview times.
Parents wishing to meet with a Careers Adviser need to contact the front office to book an interview time.
At Warilla High School there are structured timetabled Careers lessons for Year 10 students where student cover topics such as:
- MyFuture - Careers Investigations
- School - What's the Point
- Writing a Winning Resume
- ePortfolios - Up2Now DEC Tool
- Interview Skills
- Picking the Right Subject for the HSC
- Work Experance
- Organising Digital Resources
Job Education Training Program - JET
- In addition to this Careers Program, Warilla High School independently funds the ‘Job Education Training (JET)' Program in conjunction with Workplace Learning Illawarra (WPLI).
- Here Cathy McGhie a ‘Team Leader Student Employment Adviser' from WPLI works with students on a one-one basis with career exploration and work experience opportunities building their skills and knowledge up for future career pathways.
- This program is based on the reality of the workplace and employers expectations. A large component of this program is industry specific work experience.
- To assist with the communication of the huge amount of career information available to our students, the school uses a website called Edmodo. This is a social media platform endorsed by the Department of Education and Communities due to the high security features included.
- All students in Years 10, 11 and 12 have been signed up to this website at school and the group has the ability to write posts, upload files, attach links to websites and for students to send direct messages to me or ask questions on the wall.
- The great feature of this website is that it is very user-friendly and operates just like Facebook except it is not available to the general public. Parents are welcome to join our Edmodo group to see all the career messages being posted.
- To join parents need to contact the Careers Adviser at the school to obtain a parent code to access our group.